Author Topic: DRZ400s Won't Idle, only runs on full choke, won't take gas  (Read 10864 times)

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
DRZ400s Won't Idle, only runs on full choke, won't take gas
« on: August 08, 2010, 01:41:37 PM »
Thought I would post a solution to a common problem with my DRZs. If it sits for a while or some dirt makes it into the carb the pilot jet can clog. This leads to the following symptoms

1) Bike starts and runs on full choke
2) If you give it gas the bike bogs and dies
3) If you turn off the choke or go to half choke the bike dies

If this happens pull the carb loose, drop the float bowl, take out the pilot jet. If you can't see any day light through the jet it's clogged. Sometimes you can only see a tiny spec of light.

Take a piece of thin wire and poke it through the jet. I use a strand from a bicycle brake cable. After poking it through a few times you will see some/more day light through the hole.

Hope that helps save people some time.

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DRZ400s Won't Idle, only runs on full choke, won't take gas
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 01:44:19 PM »
BTW, if you need new jets these guys have helped me out a few times. Kientech are great and have helped me over the phone to the extent I did not need to buy anything from them when that was the original reason for my call.

http://www.kientech.com/

elementDRZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 01:22:58 AM »
Thanks Skadomo

Whiplash77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 10:08:43 PM »
Well said! I would like to throw in a couple ideas, the main jet would also need to be cleaned, even with a plugged pilot the bike should rev unless the main is also plugged, I to have worked with keintech and they are great!, another good place to get individual jets and needles without having to buy a kit is EBay, just do a search for your model of carb then refine to lowest price first, they usually start at about $3 ;)

woxof

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 09:15:35 PM »
One more problem that masquerades as dirty carb. My almost new (300 mi.believe it or not) 2004 (in 2012) 400e had a delaminated accelerator pump diaphragm. Would start and idle but hit the throttle hard and bog to the point of stalling. I have heard this is an occasional FCR problem. 

wantucce

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 05:49:39 AM »
New to this so apologize if this is standard knowledge. Is there an inline gas filter pre-carb on the DRZ? If not, has anyone put one in place?