Author Topic: For sale - DRZ400E iffy runner  (Read 6345 times)

markDRZ400E

• View Profile
    • Email
For sale - DRZ400E iffy runner
« on: January 27, 2011, 07:02:22 AM »
Hello,

How long has this place been going? I bought a DRZ just under 3 years ago and didn't find you then! I'm Mark, live in Warrington and have found you too late i think  ::)  ;D

I have a 2000 W-reg Suzuki DRZ400E which is currently an expensive doorstop in the shed!

I bought it 2 and a bit years ago and had great fun for a short time, but that ended abruptly, when the stator came loose from the shaft it spins on and some of the magnets were mangled.

I had the engine stripped down to check for debris, but none was found, so the stator was replaced.

I then decided to get some more bits done to make it as good as possible....

-New chain and sprockets
-New braided hose on front brake as the brakes are pretty pants so need as much help as they can get!
-New brake pads
-New bushes and bearing on swingarm
-New bushes on rear shock
-Manual cam chain tensioner. I've read in a lot of places that the auto tensioner isn't great and can allow the chain to jump a tooth or 2 as the spring allows it to back off a bit, especially when opening and closing the throttle quickly
-Oil and filter replacement a couple of times after the stator issue.

Once all that was done, i had some great fun for a few months. I used the bike for work each day and also took it down some gravel and dirt trails. I didn't do any proper off-roading as i'm crap at it but it's definitely been used for off-roading in the past. The plastics are all complete but they are a bit scruffy and scuffed up. Makes it look like a proper off-roader! Riding with no indicators or mirrors feels naughty  

Anyway, it developed what seems like a misfire when hot. It appeared to run fine for a few miles and when gentle with the throttle, but then missed, giving a pop from the exhaust and a big hesitation, when hot. I didn't have the skills or funds at the time to get it looked at. I took the carb off twice, cleaned it out (looked pretty clean anyway) and put it back on but no joy. It was just a toy so ended up resigned to the shed, where it's been since  

I really didn't want to get rid as i had pumped so much money into it, but it's a crying shame to see it stood in the shed.  :(

I have fired it up a few times since this after following some pointers from people and checking things like loose wiring and air leaks but it's got no tax or MOT now so i can't take it out on the road to try it out  It started out life as an off-road bike and has been adapted for the road by a previous owner. I'm wondering if it could be the extra wiring that's been added to it to blame but i'm no good when it comes to the dark arts of electricity.

Anyway, i'll be a bit gutted to see it go as it was great fun. I am no wheelie demon but this thing, being an E (Enduro) model, has tons of poke and would try to lift it's front wheel in 1st, 2nd and 3rd! I have no money to fix it up myself so it's looking like it's got to go.

Because it's been stuck in the shed, I lent the silencer to a friend for his DRZ400S. It wouldn't fit but typing this has just reminded me that he still has it! Assuming he's still got it i'll be sticking that back on!

Would anyone be interested? I am open to sensible offers but i appreciate that it has no tax or MOT and has issues so wont be expecting a huge amount for it.

Does anyone have any idea of value should i find no interest here or by word of mouth? I'd prefer to sell it to someone who will appreciate it and not just ebay it if possible..

Here are some pictures although they hide the scuff marks. If you're that bothered, you can buy plastics cheaply on ebay.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:13:21 AM by markDRZ400E »

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: For sale - DRZ400E iffy runner
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 06:54:11 AM »
Hey man, welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about the issues with the DRZ.

I know your selling it but I have a few questions about the issues. Maybe they will help the next owner or get you back on it.

Did you use carb cleaner on the carb? Carb cleaner will eat away the o rings and have unpredictable affects on how the motor runs.

Any chance your DRZs buddy would let you swap carbs to see what happens?

markDRZ400E

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: For sale - DRZ400E iffy runner
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 07:02:29 AM »
Thank you for the reply. I did use carb cleaner so could well be the problem. I wouldn't want to start pulling my friends bike to bits to be honest as it's too new and i'd be scared of killing his too!

Will definitely mention the O-rings to the buyer though

Thanks,

Mark