Author Topic: Electrical system died in Mid-start up process  (Read 380 times)

4 dog knight

• View Profile
    • Email
Electrical system died in Mid-start up process
« on: April 24, 2017, 05:16:44 PM »
Hi! My first post here, unfortunately with a problem. I went to fire up Suzuka-saki KLX400 for the first time this spring. Installed the fully charged battery I'd kept trickled in my semi-heated garage and pushed the electric leg button. It turned over a few Revolutions and everything went black. No dash lights, no nothin'! I visually checked the fuse and with a VOM just to be sure. Removed the tank and headlight nacelle and checked out the wiring. There is voltage to the key switch. I now see the Clutch switch has been removed.
Trying to familiarize myself with the shop manual. Printed off the switch schematics and it appears that the key switch is first in line, So I'll have to figure out what other switches (like the sidestand?) might effect this process.  Thought I'd ask here, just in case this is a known issue? Your trouble shooting suggestions would be helpful and appreciated!
4 dog knight
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:00:02 PM by 4 dog knight »

hdgypsy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Electrical system died in Mid-start up process
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 10:04:37 AM »
The clutch and kickstand switch can be removed as long as the wires coming from them are connected together. I would start in the headlight wiring to the clutch switch and make sure they are connected and did not come apart. This wire in itself should not cause everything go dark, If the battery and fuses are good than there has to be a loose connection someplace. Are the pos+ and neg- on your battery cables tight at both ends? A loose cable on the battery could cause your problem.
2013 DRZ 400S
2015 HD Heritage Softail
2009 HD Muscle
2015 FJ-09
2015 Razor XP1000