Author Topic: fcr carb change  (Read 2859 times)

topp38

• View Profile
    • Email
fcr carb change
« on: April 26, 2013, 05:57:19 AM »
hi all im a newbie,, ;),,,just bought me self a dz 400 s,04 and it doesent want to come up on the bk wheel off the throttle atall,,was wanting to get rid of the vacum crb and put on the fcr one off the E model,,,is it just a case of swapping it straight over??,,,,any help would be great thanks folks

bermudacat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: fcr carb change
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 02:01:36 PM »
If you buy a complete kit, yes, it's not a difficult swap. DO SHOP AROUND!! Kits can vary by hundreds depending on who's selling them.

Look for a kit that includes the adapter bell and already has the proper jetting kit installed. I've seen them from the low fives to the mid sixes for the exact same kit. Don't be fooled by anyone claiming exclusivity and charging over $650; these kits are still available in the low $500's.

I installed one on my bike in 2006. WOW!!! Finally, the throttle had direct control over the rear wheel!! Can't wait for my next three engine mods!! ;D

intotheabis

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: fcr carb change
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 05:41:49 PM »
Just did mine, I have an 06.
Got the carb from a 06 RMZ450.
I paid $250 for it
I changed the main jet to a 155 and put the needle 3rd from the top.
I purchased a DRZ400E carb to head coupler and did the mod.
It is easier if you give in early on and take off as much as possible to gain access, its not worth minimizing the tear down.
My biggest issue was clearance from the petcock to the choke and hotstart plungers.
I ended up making a plug for the hot start, not required with this mod.
You must machine a brass dowel to take the place of the hot start plunger, you can't just cap the hole.
I also had to extend the carb where it connects to the air filter boot, it was about 1/4'' too short.
I took a conduit coupling and machined it down, with a file, to fit over the carb and into the filter boot.
The bike runs amazing and is well worth the effort although at times I was ready to give up.
Front end comes up without effort and the overall performance in all gears is fantastic.
The engine no longer works hard