Author Topic: My KLR/ DRZ Farkels !!!  (Read 2829 times)

Flash Gordon

• View Profile
My KLR/ DRZ Farkels !!!
« on: December 18, 2014, 01:01:19 PM »
Hello all from Flash Gordon/ aka Don... Ha Ha...

I'd first like to thank you all for allowing me too share my passion of 2 wheels since my return too dual sport riding in the winter of 2010, and it has been an awesome journey from the 5 bikes that got me up too speed... Dr 200, Dr650, DL V-Strom 650, DRZ 400 S, and a back-up custom DRZ/KLR 705 named Kal-a-who !!!

The custom DRZ named Wombat 400 till it gets a big bore has many a farkels from Pegz foot rests, 5 1/2" handle bars, Clark fuel tank, Seat Concepts, MDR tuned pipe with JD jet kit that Eddie Oh'Dell told me too add for latter on power up-grades...

The KLR/ DRZ is under a life time of power building and light weight reduction program while Im on a 400 day bike trip that covers all of Canada and all the United States for the 2014/ 15 year... I'm at day 220 of the 400, so I have a ways too go !!!

Flash Gordon

• View Profile
Re: My KLR/ DRZ Farkels !!!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 01:12:59 PM »
Winter time biking is part of Canada, and there ain't no way around it...

My play ground is all of Alberta, BC, and Saskachawin that are in my 1200 km circle...
Frozen is part of biking, and a wize rider learns the tricks too staying warm...

Kold pine cones at every turn...

I'm ready too bike the moon if they send us there !!!

So lets get ready to rumble snow, shine, or what I call "Wintummer," that is all 4 seasons rapped into one...

Flash Gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 01:56:08 PM »
The nice part of being part of a forum for me is Tech days...

making better traction

Bigger pistons...

Lone wolf rides... Or with the dudes...

Pal Flash

Flash Gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 02:05:19 PM »
Im the only dude with a 705cc lite weight klr in our forum here in Alberta, but the dudes are there too help me along the way like you guys since I am not a tool head like Burns or Eddie...

Group rides are fun, but

BBQ group rides are awesome-ness !!!

Getting it right is a part of the plan

And a chance too be a super hero if the ideas work out... Ha

Flash Gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 02:14:54 PM »
I like both of my dual sport bikes, and the DRZ has been a real plus at getting into the narrly holagoon rides off the grid...

The little drz clipper takes me many a places that my K struggles at !!!

They say the KLR is the 50/50 bike, but the drz is more my 50/50 bike...

Pretty easy for me too put on 600 too 700 km days...

Flash Gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 02:21:54 PM »
I added 2" risers, and tip up bars that gives me 5 1/2" total height

New tail end of lights...

And a new out look on get up and go...

Flash Gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 02:42:59 PM »
I'm on a 400 day bike ride across all of Canada and United States for the 2014/ 15 year, so the mod lite weight klr was chosen for the trip, but now, "after the fact" I wish I would of brought my drz instead...

The kow is a fine bike, but it doesn't have the off road handling like the d...
I have it down too 401 lbs with fuel and crash bars, so a few other change-ups will this winter on day 220 of my trip will see some more light weight farkels added too the big show... LOL

My drz with fuel comes in at 330 lbs, so getting my klr/drz down too 350 lbs is a go since my friend is changing out most of the frame stuff to air craft aluminum at his fab plant in the next few days before I head on my way to Florida too see the Daytona 500 this year...
Lucky thing is that he owns a CNC Moab mill too make the parts as needed !!!

Lots of aircraft aluminum too pick from as well...

Flash Gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 05:47:17 PM »
I've covered most of Canada this year as I'll hit up British Columbia on my return too my Alberta in the spring of 2015...

I traveled all the top states from Montana East by zig-zagging North too South over 18 states in 45 days, a chance too see Washington DC and New York on July 4th was a plus, then I cut threw Main into New Brunswick while ending up in Newfoundland for 2 weeks... I checked out all 9 points on the rocks coast lines, then headed too Ontario too ride 15 of the top 30 best rides in the province...

I'll start South in mid Febuary too adventure more of Virginia, Carolina's, then Florida were I'll hang out with my sister in-law and brother.

A run threw New Orleans, Texas, New Mexico, ending up in Arizona with cousins and other Alberta friends, lots of zigs getting there, then zag my way North too reload for second trip East for a fun run... From there I will head too the North West Territories, Yukon, and a small peace of Alaska too rap up a full 400 day ride...

Who knows if I'll get a chance too meet a few of you on my adventure of lost... Ha.

From pal Flash...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 05:49:10 PM by Flash Gordon »

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 07:50:12 PM »
Welcome Flash! Nice bike, thanks for all the pics. I wish I could ride that much.

Flash Gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 06:08:34 AM »
You can skadamo...

The trick is too learn to be frugal at every thing you do, and its easy once a person learns the "less is more" thing in lifes journey !!!

Take the time too live the day on $5, then over the next week you can step it up a notch by cutting that in half by using creative ideas not too spend funds...

Motorcyles, parts, gas, and supplies are exempt, but shop wise in that category as we can learn that the motorcycle will look after its self if we take care of it...

I invest in me first, then feed the wolves the left overs of just enough too get by works, and the extra funds saved are used for top-ups "only" when needed...

Every day is living if we think of it that way, adventure is just part of it, so I put adventure back stage which gives me time too "live" first...

It is handy if you aline your self with where you want too be in 10 or 30 years from now, it will be easy since all the glitches a learning curves will be fixed for smooth sailing...

We have to want it if its going too work, so work smart, think twice, and find adventures path that will take you where you want to go... Start off slow one step at a time, you'll be surprised how fast it takes off...

Remember... "less is more..."

Pal Flash